A long standing tradition at RLC is our annual fall outtrips, where each grade is assigned a five-day expedition in a remote area of Ontario. It is a bonding experience for students as well as an opportunity to explore the natural environment of the school’s ‘backyard’. It is an experience common to all alumni and one that is reflected upon fondly years after the experience. The fall outtrip is mandatory for all students who enroll for a semester that begins in September. Any personal equipment rented for a student for any outtrip will be billed to the student’s personal account.
Personal Equipment List
Please note: This equipment is not required for students starting school in the second semester. The following list of personal equipment is MANDATORY for students starting in the first semester and MUST arrive with the student on Registration Day. This gear is VITAL for the safety of the student while on the annual five-day outtrip and for participation in various outdoor activities at RLC throughout the year. For those living in the Toronto area, we recommend Mountain Equipment Co–op. You can order on-line (www.mec.ca), by phone (1.888.847.0770) or shop in person (400 King Street West).
- 1 pair lightweight running shoes
- 1 pair closed toe sandals with heel strap for swimming and walking around camp. Clip buckles work the best; avoid Velcro® if possible – it comes off in the water easily
- 2 pairs of wool or synthetic socks
- 1 pair lightweight long underwear. Synthetic or wool top and bottoms
- 1 fleece jacket – mid to heavyweight pile (depending on your cold tolerance)
- 1 shell (rain) jacket with a hood (Waterproof is preferable to water resistant!)
- 1 shell (rain) pants
- 1 pair lightweight pants (nylon works well) **denim jeans are very difficult to dry
- 1 pair shorts (nylon works well)
- 2 lightweight short-sleeve shirts (1 cotton and 1 synthetic)
- 1 long-sleeve shirt
- *Optional* -Sweater – wool or fleece
- 1 pair lightweight gloves or mitts – wool or similar quick drying material
- 1 warm, lightweight fleece/wool hat (toque). Hat should cover ears
- 1 baseball cap or other sun hat
- 1 pair sunglasses
- water bottle – one litre size (Stainless steel is safest)
- sunscreen – SPF 15 or better
- lip screen – SPF 15 or better
- sleeping bag – good to 0°C, three season with synthetic fill*
- 1 Self-Inflating pad – 3/4 or full length Thermarest®
- 2 x 20 litre Dry Bags (for water based trips) or a Duffel Bag, to transport gear
- headlamp (Petzl® Tikka or Zipka® work well for around camp. Petzl Zoom is brighter)
- toiletry bag – toothbrush, small tube tooth paste, floss, small towel (MEC mountain dry towel), hand sanitizer, brush or comb,
- personal medication, tampons and sanitary pads (do NOT bring perfume, cologne, strong smelling deodorant, etc.)
- optional – camera, book, cards, journal
NOTE: Outdoor Education students – if purchasing a new sleeping bag, a four-season bag is optimal, instead of the three-season bag.
Grade 10 wilderness survival outtrip additional items.
- 1 pair of work gloves
- metal plate/bowl and cup
- metal knife/fork/spoon
- 1 pair of plastic safety glasses
- 1 pair of high cut running shoes or hiking boots
- 1 large bandana
The fall outtrip is mandatory for all students who enrol for a semester that begins in September. Any personal equipment rented for a student for any outtrip will be billed to the student’s personal account.